E-cigarette causes house fire

By Alex Jones in Emergency Services

THE UPPER storey of a house has been destroyed after an e-cigarette was left on charge.

Crews from Nefyn, Abersoch and Caernarfon were called to a fire at a property on Stryd y Llan, Nefyn at 11.56am on Friday 5 August.

The cause is thought to have been an e-cigarette left on charge.

Firefighters used two sets of breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets to tackle the fire.

The fire caused 100 per cent smoke damage to the rest of the first floor.

There was also fire damage to the ground floor ceiling.

Gwyn Jones, community safety manager, said: “This incident highlights how quickly a fire can spread - and the importance of using electrical items correctly and operating them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

“The experience of fire and rescue services across the UK is that e-cigarettes can carry an increased risk of fire and we would urge that extra care is needed when using them.

“All e-cigarettes use a rechargeable battery to power the vaporiser and these batteries require recharging on a regular basis.

“We would advise you only ever purchase these products from a reputable source and only use the battery and charger provided with the e-cigarette when charging.”

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C