High-flying Kites end Llani's run

By Adam Hughes in Football

LLANIDLOES Town’s superb winning run in the Spar Mid Wales League Division One came to an end as they slipped to a 2-0 defeat against high-flying Rhayader Town, in front of a bumper Boxing Day crowd at Victoria Avenue.

After an excellent run had propelled them up to seventh in the table, the Daffs were unable to maintain that winning form against the Red Kites, whose win kept them joint top with Berriew.

It was another close affair, with Rhayader completing a double after their 1-0 success earlier in the season, and their victory also avenged the Daffs’ 3-2 win over them in the Radnorshire Cup.

“We more than matched them in all areas, but for the first time for some time we did not create a great deal,” said Daffs manager Clarke.

“We are a young side, but we stood up to them well and rattled them. We can take a lot of pride from another decent performance, particularly in the first half.

“It was tight all the way, and, had we managed to get a goal, perhaps we could have gone on and won it.”

Chances were in short supply, with Llanidloes seeing one effort cleared off the line, while Harri Clarke had a header saved, but for most part the hosts had struggled to find a way through.

In an even first half a fine towering header from Richie Powell from Ash Jones’ cross into the box on 31 minutes was enough to give Rhayader the first half lead.

The second half was a more dominant performance from Rhayader as they pushed on for the killer second goal.

Finally, with eight minutes to go, Rich Powell hooked the ball goalwards, and it ricocheted onto the unfortunate Steve Jones and into his own net for an own goal.

Bow Street produced the goods as an excellent Boxing Day brace from Tom Williams capped a superb 5-0 win over Ceredigion rivals Aberaeron at Cae Piod.

Williams, who looked lively throughout, had opened his account with a well-taken effort, before Dean Evans doubled the lead, and Andrew Gittens made it 3-0.

Aberaeron were reduced to 10 men when Anthony Evans was shown the red card for a second bookable offence, and further goals from Williams and Tom Evans added to their woe as the Magpies climbed above them into fifth position.

Carno finished 2016 undefeated at Ty Brith as they beat Llanrhaeadr 2-1, depsite boss Chris Davies being forced into changes with captain Steve Jones, Gregg Brown, Andrew Evans and Harry Holt all unavailable.

The Greens were put under real pressure in the first 30 minutes as Llanrhaeadr hit the bar, and had a goal ruled out for offside, before Iain Edmunds opened their scoring from a free kick.

Ashley Owen and Jordan Jones had Carno’s best chances in the first 20 minutes, and as the half progressed came into the game.

A moment of magic saw Richie Evans beat his man to fire home from just inside the box to make it 1-1, and the Greens finished the half on top, with Drew Reynolds having a goal bound header cleared just before half time.

After the break, Ollie Lewis saw a shot go just wide and Peter Rees also headed just wide from six yards out.

Llanrhaeadr were then awarded a penalty with 15 minutes to go, but Kris Williams made a brilliant save though to keep Carno level.

The winner came in the 90th minute when Richie Evans stepped up and curled a free kick into the top corner to seal a 2-1 win.

Tywyn/Bryncrug meanwhile took the Boxing Day derby spoils as a well-taken Mark Edmonson hat-trick sealed a 4-2 success away at local rivals Machynlleth.

Aston Heath also found the net for the visitors, who notched only their fourth league win, whilst Sion Williams and Alex Davies were on target of the home side.

Hay St Mary’s claimed all three points as goals by Matt Croose, Brendan Hackett and Adi Lawford sealed a 3-1 win at Llandrindod.

Against the run of play, Hackett had whipped a ball in for Matt Croose to head home their opening goal.

Five minutes later a carbon copy corner saw Croose head just over, but the Wellmen then broke quickly and a low shot struck the post.

Another counter attack saw Rob Snedden send a ball down the right to Steve Morgan, who cut inside his marker and squared for top scorer Hackett to put the Saints 2-0 up from 12 yards.

Both sides had chances in the second half, but the Saints made the game safe in the 78th minutes when a good through ball found Adi Lawford on the edge of the area, and he lobbed the ball ove the keeper to score.

Llandrindod, however, replied with five minutes to go when Elliot Williams turned up on the right hand side and hit a low left-footed shot from the edge of the area to beat keeper Jordan Baker.

Berriew showed no signs of slipping up in the title race as they remained top of the table of goal difference after a hat-trick from Rich Davies sealed a solid 7-0 win over Montgomery Town.

Karl Seliaerts also scored twice and Darryl Jones and Jamie Dockerty also found the net for the frontrunners in a dominant home display from the league leaders.

Elsewhere Adam Worton’s winning goal earned Knighton Town a closely-fought 1-0 home win against Radnor Valley as they consolidated ninth position in the division one standings.

Related Articles

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C