Late try denies Newcastle Emlyn

By Adam Hughes in Rugby

NEWCASTLE Emlyn were left absolutely gutted as a last-gasp converted try sentenced them to a 15-20 defeat at the end of a pulsating game of Championship rugby against Beddau.

In the 86th minute, with Emlyn down to 13 men, Beddau centre Tyler Wells crossed under the posts to give the visitors the lead for the first time in the match.

When outside half Hywel Chatham added the extra points, the final whistle was blown by referee Peter Evans, to bring to an end a pulsating game of two halves.

The first half belonged to the Red and Whites, who dominated proceedings and were 15-0 ahead at the interval, only for the visitors to come back into the game.

Mindful of the hammering they had had up in Beddau, for once Emlyn had come out of the blocks firing on all cylinders.

Their scrum was dominant, with props Emrys and Gethin Davies, along with stand-in hooker Neil Elworthy, having excellent first halves - and when number eight Brynmor Jones picked up from the base on Beddau’s 10 metre line, some nice inter-passing between himself, flanker Gethin Davies and scrum half Dafydd Evans saw the No 9 cross over in the corner for the opening try of the match.

The heavy rain on Friday had made conditions very slippery to say the least, but Emlyn outside half Mitchell Jones, playing his first game of the season along with Shaun Leonard had an excellent first half.

The Emlyn centres, Richard Hope and Tomi Jones, put in some thunderous tackles and with second rows Ryan Morgans and Dan Havard winning useful line-out ball, Emlyn camped in the Beddau half.

The visitors’ defence proved difficult to breach, but in the 35th minute a clearance kick fell into the arms of winger Dan Davies, who fed full back Leonard to draw in the full back and pass back to Davies to score the try, which he also converted.

Then, when Beddau were forced to concede a penalty for not releasing, the hosts opted to kick at goal and Dan Davies converted for a deserved 15-0 interval lead.

It was the visitors who dominated proceedings in the second half and Hywel Chatham soon slotted over a penalty goal.

Beddau’s first try followed when excellent full back Callum Wheeler made a lovely break from a line out move to feed winger Joe Casella to score wide out.

As the game moved into its final quarter injuries began to play their part in the proceedings, and when home flanker Gareth Patterson was yellow-carded, the visitors eventually scored a try by winger Cody Baker. Chatham missed the conversion.

With time running out the Emlyn faithful were hoping against hope that their side would be able to hold out for a win.

When the referee ruled that Llyr Jones had strayed off side at a ruck, however, he too was yellow-carded and as Emlyn batted to hold on in six minutes of added time, centre Tyler Wells scythed through to get the winning score for the visitors.

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C