Mixed fortunes in Central Wales Cup

By Adam Hughes in Football

BORTH United impressed in front of one of the biggest crowds of the season at Uppingham Field as they secured progress into the fourth round of the Central Wales Cup with a 2-1 win over local rivals Bow Street.

A own goal with five minutes to go sealed a fine win for the second division outfit, who had taken the lead through Liam Lewis, before Llion Jenkins equalised.

On a heavy pitch, Dean Evans and Andrew Gittins were prominent for the visitors, whilst Borth’s Liam Lewis also made some great runs in a goalless first half.

Street began the second half the stronger team, and Llion Jenkins was unfortunate to see his towering header from a corner kick rebound off the crossbar.

Within 10 minutes, however, the outstanding Liam Berner played a superb ball from midfield, and Liam Lewis outpaced the Magpies’ defence and rounded goalkeeper Ian Evans to score Borth’s opening goal.

Street battled to the end, and with five minutes to go the excellent Llion Jenkins rifled a superb right-footed shot from outside the penalty area for the equaliser.

With extra time looming, however, a Borth free kick was floated into the penalty area, and the ball was put into his own net by a Bow Street player for what proved to be the winner.

Llanidloes Town benefitted from a last minute own goal as they ended the stunning 17-match unbeaten run of Berriew with a 3-2 win.

Dave Roberts had pounced head Berriew ahead on 25 minutes, after a corner from former Daffs man Karl Seliaerts, but the Daffs fought back well in the second half.

Gareth Owen headed them level from a Josh Evans cross, but Berriew - unbeaten in four months - quickly restored their lead.

Richard Davies had headed against the post from a Jamie Dockerty cross, and Rogers scored the rebound.

The Daffs were not to be denied, however, and George Clarke turned to fire home from an Ed Clarke corner for their equaliser.

They then had a goal disallowed for offside on 88 minutes, before clinching a fine win right at the end when an Ed Clarke flag kick was deflected in off Berriew’s top scorer Richard Davies.

Holders Carno eased into the next round of the competition by beating Llanfyllin 8-2, with hat-tricks from Harry Holt and Peter Rees, and a Richie Evans brace.

The Greens went behind inside three minutes when a long ball caught the defence out, but within minutes Steve Jones played a ball over the top for Harry Holt, who netted his first for the club.

Holt then put Carno ahead when finishing well after being released by Richie Evans, and Jordan Jones fed Peter Rees to calmly finish inside the area for a 3-1 lead.

A poor clearance saw Llanfyllin pull a goal back, but the two-goal cushion was restored just before half time when Andrew Evans headed down into the path of Richie Evans to fire home.

The second half saw Carno take control, with Richie Evans squaring for Peter Rees to make it 5-2, and Steve Jones played in Harry Holt to seal his hat-trick.

Gregg Brown crossed for Peter Rees to head home for his hat-trick and Richie Evans completed the scoring as he rounded the keeper to score, after being sent through by Jordan Jones.

A brace from Joseph Bell and singles from Jack Williamson, Drew Page and man of the match Alex Davies for Machynlleth claim an exciting 5-4 win at home against Hay St Mary’s.

The Saints battled well, with Jack Biggs scoring a brace, before two late goals from Matt Croose ensured it was a very nervy finish.

Tywyn/Bryncrug secured their progress with a solid 3-0 home win over Dyffryn Banw, with Mark Edmondson, Aled Jones and James Morgan scoring ther goals.

Rhayader Town registered a 4-1 win over Builth Wells at the Weirglodd, after first half goals by Ifan Burrell, Richie Powell and Christian Jones, before Powell completed his brace. Jordan Hammond netted the reply.

Two late goals from Marc Griffiths and Iwan Matthews secured Llanrhaeadr passage into the next round with a battling 2-0 win over division two outfit Kerry.

Llansantffraid beat Newbridge 4-1, courtesy of goals from Nathan Buckley, Tom Gayle, Bryn Jones and Toby Thomas, whilst Radnor Valley’s Joey Price scored twice as Radnor Valley beat Llandrindod Wells 2-1, with Elliot Williams netting a reply.

Two goals from Max Mclaughlin and a Joe Haycock goal earned Churchstoke a 3-1 win at Trewern.

On Tuesday night, Penrhyncoch eased into the fourth round of the Central Wales Cup with a comfortable 3-0 passage against Spar League division one side Welshpool at Cae Baker.

The Roosters dominated possession throughout in tough conditions underfoot with their visitors seeing deep, and took the lead with a deflected strike from Harri Horwood.

Jon Foligno then doubled the advantage with a header before the break and Horwood completed the scoring with his second after the interval with a right foot volley.

Related Articles

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C