Warning for people digging up ground on Iron Age hillfort

By Caleb Spencer in Environment

CADW have warned against illegal excavations on Pen Dinas after a group of people were seen “metal detecting and digging” on the ancient Iron Age hillfort.

Dylan Lewis, director of Penparcau Community Forum and former mayor of Aberystwyth, said he witnessed three people engaged in the activity on Pen Dinas on Sunday, 8 January, after seeing evidence of human digging on the hill the day before.

Pen Dinas, which is described by the St Fagans National History Museum as “one of the largest and most important hillforts in west Wales”, is designated a ‘scheduled ancient monument’ by CADW, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service.

Mr Lewis said he has now reported the incident to CADW, which he claims will inform the police as part of its investigations.

“I witnessed both the use of a metal detector and digging, although those responsible soon left after I arrived,” Mr Lewis told the Cambrian News.

“I had already suspected that digging was taking place when I was up there the previous day (Saturday), when I saw areas of freshly dug earth where the grass had been disturbed near and around the base of the monument, and it was obvious that it had not been caused by an animal.

“CADW are informing the police as part of their investigative procedure. Hopefully they will provide suitable signage that will help deter this activity in future.”

See this week’s south editions for the full story, in shops and online now

Related Articles

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C