FOUR communities in Ceredigion will get improved play areas after the county council was awarded over £100,000 in funding from the Welsh Government.

Cabinet members were asked to give the go ahead to the project – which will see play areas in Ponterwyd, Llanon, Llanddewi Brefi, and Cardigan renovated – at a meeting on Tuesday.

As part of the Play and Recreation in Rural Ceredigion project – Ceredigion County Council has been awarded £100,800 from the Welsh Government’s Rural Communities Development Fund to finance the works in the four play areas.

The money will go towards improvements at Ponterwyd play area, Llanon tennis courts, Llanddewi Brefi play area and Cardigan skatepark.

The full cost of the work across all the play areas is estimated to be around £126,000.

The RCDF grant will cover 80 per cent of the cost and the communities – Melindwr Community Council, Llansantffraid Community Council, Llangeitho Community Council and Cardigan Town Council – will provide the remaining 20 per cent as match funding.

The project will cost Ceredigion council no money apart from an officer to manage the project. Ceredigion council said that seizing opportunities to improve play areas was an important part of its action plan and corporate strategy.

“The project is collaboration between the local authority and the communities who have been trying for some time to improve play and recreation facilities in these areas,” the council said.

The project is set to begin from the middle of next month, with the work having to be completed by the end of April next year.

See this week’s south papers for the full story, available in shops and as a digital edition now