Plans to convert health centre into four-bedroom home

By Elgan Hearn   |   Local democracy reporter   |
Monday 20th December 2021 12:37 pm
Share

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

PLANS have been submitted to turn a former health centre near Machynlleth into a four-bedroom home.

This comes less than two years since plans to convert the former Glantwymyn Health Centre on Cemmaes Road into an 18-bed care home were given the green light in February 2020.

The plans have been lodged with Powys County Council by Dafydd Evans of nearby Penegoes.

His agents George + Tomos Architects explained in a planning statement that the idea of converting the building had fallen through due to a lack of funding.

George + Tomos said: “The proposals include extending the ground and first floor, external and internal alterations.

“The building is currently vacant following the re-location of the GP surgery to the nearby town of Machynlleth.

“Currently the site has planning permission to convert the health care centre into a residential care home.

“The initial plan was for the applicant, who is a local builder, to convert the building himself, depending on whether he could secure funding for the project.

“Unfortunately, he was unsuccessful in gaining the funding required, making the project unviable.”

They said that the property had been put for sale in the “hope” that a buyer would develop the care home themselves.

George + Tomos said: “The property has been on the market for six months with no interest.

“The applicant has therefore decided to apply for permission to convert the health care centre into a four-bedroom dwelling house.”

They add that the proposals have been designed to be “in keeping” with the site and the surrounding area.

In 2017, Glantwymyn Health Centre took over Machynlleth Health Centre, which at that time was managed directly by the Powys Teaching Health Board (PTHB).

This merger created Dyfi Valley Health and at that time there was confidence that they had the staffing in place to maintain services at both premises.

But soon afterwards opening hours were cut due to staffing issues and the surgery closed its doors on July 31, 2019.

The plans will be decided by Powys planners at a future date.

As we continue to protect and grow quality local journalism, Cambrian News is considering experimenting in the future with some form of paid-for content on our website.

If you’d like to help shape how that may look and secure some free credits if we do go live then please register  here.

Comments

To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0