CARDIGAN avenged their defeat to St Clears earlier in the season as ran in four tries, to maintain their slender hopes of achieving promotion from Division Three West A with a 26-12 home win.

The victory was inspired by former skipper Colin Davies, who made a welcome return after a long absence, and the number eight had an immediate impact.

After crossing for an early try, he added a second midway through the first half, and he could have made it a first half hat-trick in the final minute - if he had hung onto a pass with the try line at his mercy.

The Cardis have been struggling in the back row for a ball carrier who can make the hard yards and slip the ball out of contact - especially with ex-captain Dylan Davies having gone over to Newcastle Emlyn, and current No 8 and captain Llyr Griffiths rumoured to be on his way.

Davies, who hasn’t played serious rugby for three years, slipped back in as if he had never been away, and he was at the heart of everything that Cardigan did.

He was well supported by his pack, with none better than hooker Bedwyr Davies, who was playing on permit from Newcastle Emlyn, and second row Dan Evans, who worked tirelessly in front of scrum half Aaron Evans - who orchestrated matters effectively alongside the cool head of Iestyn Crompton at fly half.

Davies barged his way over for the first try, after good work by the forwards, and Crompton added the extra two points.

The second try then followed on the half hour when a corner flagging Davies walked over the try line, after quick thinking by centre Aaron Tomkinson.

Two minutes before half-time, a superbly executed try saw quick ball claimed from a line-out, and when prop Ben Hughes slipped a superb pass from an offload, the ball was sped across the back line for winger Rhydian Jenkins to touch down wide out. Crompton added a super conversion from the touchline to put Cardigan well ahead at 19-0 at the break.

The home ranks were reduced to 14 when Davies was yellow-carded for an offside infringement, and the visitors capitalised when they were awarded a penalty try, with Cardigan back pedalling in the scrum. Centre James Davies converted, and the Saints sensed a comeback and pushed hard for a second try - but were thwarted by excellent tackling.

The hosts hit back with their fourth bonus point try as centre Tompkinson, who enjoyed a fine game, sneaked through, and Crompton added the conversion.

Unfortunately the flame-haired centre was helped off the field moments later with a dislocated shoulder, and he may well be out for the rest of the season.

St Clears battled away until the end and they were rewarded for their efforts with a consolation try when hard working number eight Dafydd Walters was bundled over the try line by his fellow forwards to complete the scoring - and a comfortable home win for Cardigan.