CARDIGAN coasted to a seven-try 45-3 win over Neyland, and their victory was all the more satisfying as the Division Three West A high fliers had lost to the Pembrokeshire All Blacks earlier in the season.

The 15-13 loss at the John Street ground had been the only negative aspect of what is fast becoming an exciting season, and coach Colin Horscroft could not hide his satisfaction at putting one over them.

“I’m pleased with the bonus point win, and the way we played in the first half, especially as we were given an opportunity to play some rugby this time, whereas down at Neyland we were not,” he said.

“Our performance was not as intense or as good as it was against Denbigh in the WRU Bowl, and we were not even blowing at the interval, but we still got the job done, and that’s all that really matters.”

This game was won after 20 minutes, with Cardigan ahead 33-3, with the depleted visitors struggling in all departments. Neyland had been hit hard by some players dropping out, although Cardigan were missing a few regulars too.

These changes caused the opening quarter to be very scrappy, but Cardigan settled down and ran in for their opening try when outside half Llyr Jones, who had one of his best games for Cardigan, set up winger Rhydian Jenkins for the score.

This was converted by full back Iestyn Crompton, but the visitors hit back when Mark Riley chipped over a penalty goal.

Skipper Llyr Griffiths added a second try soon after, from a rolling maul that had developed from a powerful scrum.

And a third try followed just a few minutes later when centre Sion Hughes was put through after second row Dan Evans had stolen the ball in the line out, and this was also converted by Crompton’s boot.

The bonus point try arrived on the half hour as centre John Lumb broke a weak defensive line, and the conversion attempt from Crompton put his team out of sight.

The visitors’ cause was not helped when they had a man yellow-carded, and from a scrum the Cardis demolished the opposition’s set-piece and Griffiths emerged from a pile of bodies with the ball. Crompton added the conversion for a 33-3 lead.

In the second half, the hosts took their foot off the gas, and Horscroft made a number of early substitutions, but Neyland never gave up, and spent large periods camped in Cardigan territory.

They were well served by Steve Martin, Mark Riley and Aaron James, but midway through the half Cardigan stand off Llyr Jones made another searing break and ran over 60 yards, before he unselfishly feeding the ball to supporting winger Dafydd Watkins, who grounded the ball out wide.

Centre Hughes added his second try late on, and the conversion by Crompton completed a one-sided success for Cardigan.