RHODRI Jenkins was the toast of Parc Drefach on Saturday night as his seven penalty salvo guided the Seagulls into the next round of the Bowl competition with a 21-17 win over Milford Haven.

Milford arrived as slight favourites, having won their opening encounters in the league with maximum points, but on the day Aberaeron, despite a few changes, were very much on par and fully justified their progress to the next round.

Dead-eye Jenkins may have been the star, but the combative effort by the home team nullified the threat of the visitors, with a complete front row change of Deian Morgan, Rhydian Harries and Ceri Wyn Davies set to give the coaching staff a selection headache in coming weeks. Supported by Lewis Tomlins as an able deputy at No 8, the Mariners’ threat was kept at bay as they huffed and puffed.

Despite threatening on occasion, indiscretion proved their downfall, as they were penalised from the first whistle, which Jenkins took fully in his stride.

The Mariners had led for a few minutes in the first period, with the experienced Lee Riley going over for a try, which was ably converted by James Truman. The visitors were behind at halfway, however, as Jenkins continued the barrage with three penalties from long range.

The lead was extended after the half-time interval, but the visitors fought back with a well worked try for Truman, which he then also successfully converted.

It was very much nip and tuck, but a brace of Jenkins penalties from long range and wide out were to prove crucial, and despite a frenetic finale, the final whistle brought jubilation and elation for coaches Justin Lloyd and Dyfrig Dafis.

It was a tough encounter indeed, and whereas Milford will rue their indiscretions, Aberaeron will have been very happy to be in the hat for the next round.


CARDIGAN cruised through into the second round of the national Swalec Bowl competition with an excellent all-round team performance against Bynea.

The Cardis enjoyed an excellent run in this knockout just a few years ago when they were eventually beaten by Shane Williams’ Amman United team in the semi-finals - and their young players will be hoping for a bit of luck with the draw.

The hosts started this game very positively and went ahead after a few minutes when centre Marcus Castle powered his way over, following good work from outside half Iwan John, who converted.

Bynea came back strongly, as expected, and were presented with an easy chance to collect three points, but they missed.

Cardigan went back upfield and added a second try when impressive winger Dan Purnell dived over following a strong run that saw him slip past two defenders. John upgraded this with the conversion, and Cardigan were in control at 14-0.

The visitors regrouped and threw the ball about well, and they were rewarded for their positive attitude when dynamic scrum half Marc Davies followed up his chip and chase to dribble football style over the line, for an excellent try.

The visitors continued to push on and they bagged another try soon afterwards when hooker Jack Morgan took advantage of some sloppy home defending to step inside his marker and dart over.

Cardigan dominated much of the second quarter, but some poor handling cost them several tries, and they should have been out of sight by the interval.

The hosts did manage to add a third try before the half was over, however, as influential number eight Colin Davies barged over from a front of the line peel to make the scoreline 19-10 at the break.

Player-coach Davies added his second try five minutes into the second half when he rounded off a fine passage of play, and John slotted over from the touchline.

Full back and captain John Lumb, who made a series of superb runs during the game, added the fourth try when he followed up a smart chip ahead by John, who converted to put his team 33-10 up.

Winger Geraint Williams increased the lead when he scored a superb try, which was started off by Lumb breaking from deep, before replacement fly half Tom Dunn scored a cheeky individual try when he chipped over the oncoming defence and touched down unopposed.

The successful conversion kick from centre Emyr Harries wrapped up the scoring at 45-10 in favour of Cardigan.


TREGARON took a welcome break from league commitments as they hosted Cefneithin in the national Swalec Bowl competition, and the outcome was in the balance right up until the final whistle.

There was nothing between the sides in the opening period, and it was obvious that the tie was going to be a close one. The visitors had opened the scoring after a quarter of an hour when they outmuscled the load off from a scrum five.

After half on hour, some quick thinking by Ieuan Wyn Rees saw him take a quick tap penalty in Cefen’s 22, and he weaved his way over to score a good home try.

Huw Bonner added the extra points, but before the interval the visitors were let back in with an excellent try themselves to give a half time scoreline of 7-12.

The second period was well contested by both teams, but the only score of the first quarter was a penalty for the visitors. On the hour mark, however, an excellent run by winger Llyr Ebenezer set up some excellent field position, and with good support Ieuan Wyn Rees scored his second try, and he converted his own try.

Then, 10 minutes from the end, the Ceredigion outfit took the lead when centre Rhydian Jones weaved his way through the defence, and Bonner duly converted.

The game, however, was won by the visitors as they scored a try and a penalty.