Toilet block charge move delayed by 12 days

By Chris Betteley   |   Reporter   |
Monday 14th November 2016 8:00 pm
@ChrisABetteley
[email protected]
Share
William Beech, from Nantwich in Cheshire, said that charging for the toilets could see fewer tourists stopping in the town

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

THE introduction of a charge to use the public toilets in Aberystwyth town centre has been delayed and will now start on Tuesday, 22 November.

Ceredigion County Council has agreed to the trial, which will last for between six to 12 months, to charge people 20p to use the toilets at Park Avenue. The council says the charge will guarantee funding to maintain standards at the toilets.

The trial had been due to start on Thursday, 10 November, but the council announced that it would instead now commence on Tuesday, 22 November.

While the trial scheme has been questioned, with concerns raised about how it will affect people who don’t have change on them, environmental services Cabinet member Alun Williams said it was an idea that had been put to the council as it looks to make cost-cutting measures.

He said: “When the council has asked the public for ideas about how to best manage the severe funding cuts we are subject to, charging for entry to toilets has been a regular suggestion."

See this week’s south editions for the full story, in shops and online on Wednesday

As we continue to protect and grow quality local journalism, Cambrian News is considering experimenting in the future with some form of paid-for content on our website.

If you’d like to help shape how that may look and secure some free credits if we do go live then please register  here.

Comments

To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0