CARDIGAN coach Colin Horscroft had been hoping for a real test in readiness for their Swalec Bowl semi-final showdown with Amman United in a fortnight, but when visitors Laugharne turned up two men short it was always going to be a walk in the park - and they went on to win 46-10.

The Estuary men were almost forced to pull out of this fixture as they struggled to get enough players to make a side for the third time this season, and the long term future for this respected club must be in some doubt at the moment.

The hosts provided a couple of players from the Seconds to boost the visitors’ ranks, but there was only going to be one outcome.

Cardigan, with several players needing to put in a big performance to cement a place in the starting line-up for the semi-final tie, came out of the blocks quickly, and went ahead when open side Gareth Clifford burst through to score a try.

Further tries soon followed through full back Alun Jenkins, number eight Colin Davies and powerful inside centre Marcus Castle.

Fly half Iestyn Crompton, restored to his natural position added two conversions.

Laugharne managed to cross the white wash late on in the half when flanker Mike Williams sneaked over for a try, which was converted by Tom Jameson.

He also added a penalty kick, but the hosts were almost out of sight at the interval, leading by 24-10.

It was very much one-way traffic after the break and the Cardis added to their score when hooker Aled Phillips crossed for a try.

This was followed by a second try from centre Castle, before replacement back rower Llyr Griffiths completed Cardigan’s try rout.

Scrum half Llyr Jones added the extras to complete a very comfortable win for his team and the season’s double over the Cocklemen.

Cardigan are now six points behind division three leaders St Clears, but crucially they have two games in hand over the Saints.

The two teams will clash on the first day in April and this could well prove to be a winner takes all affair in Division Three West A.